Marilyn Smith Emerging Leader Award
The West Virginia Counselor Association (WVCA) is pleased to invite applications from graduate students enrolled in a counseling program for the Marilyn Smith Emerging Leader Award. Winners will be awarded entry and lodging to the WVCA conference. Applicants must be willing to attend the conference and must be actively enrolled in a master’s or doctoral graduate counseling program and in good standing.
The Marilyn Smith Emerging Leader Award is designed to provide opportunities for graduate counseling students who demonstrate current and future activity in counseling advocacy. Recognition will be for those exhibiting exceptional leadership potential in their personal, professional, and educational careers.
- Current member of ACA and WVCA
- Enrolled in a graduate counseling program in good standing
- Commitment to leadership or involvement in a professional counseling organization
- Not a previous recipient of the emerging leader award
- Completed application form
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- One letter of recommendation from a current or recent faculty member (Note: recommendations from classmates, family, or friends will not be accepted)
- Describe your background, experience, and/or qualities that demonstrate your commitment to your counseling professional identity.
- How do you plan on continuing to be a leader and advocate for the field of counseling? (Make sure to address a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and multicultural competence)
- Elaborate on how receiving this award and attendance at the conference will impact your future development as a counselor.